Thursday, March 4

Hooker Love

This Week: my favorite artist evs, tha uber talented Natalia Fabia

How long have you been painting?

I have been painting since I can remember. I would use anything that was around, both of my parents were artists and I was always drawing and painting.. I started seriously oil painting in high school.

What are you working on right now?

I am currently working on my solo show, which will be in July at Corey Helford Gallery, in Culver City.. it will be huge! My bestestest work yet! I am also working on a piece that will be featured in a museum in Bristol at the end of April. Very excited for that, being in a Museum is major!

What inspired the hookers concept?

I don't know exactly where the whole hooker thing started, but I was always playfully calling all my girlfriends hookers . I was just obsessed with the word and the idea. Everyone became "hooker" and everything was "hooker- something". Since I can remember I have been fascinated with burlesque and pin up girls, basically sexy women in general... The word hooker sounded very provocative and sexy to me, I have never used it literally. Actually a definition that I found in a DICTIONARY that I think is amazing: "A hooker is someone who sells their talent or abilities". So everyone is a hooker! Especially artists! Eventually the term hooker has developed to mean a strong, independent, talented, hot chick to me... And I am lucky because all of my friends happen to be hot hookers and that is who I paint. As far as subject matter, everything starts as an idea in my head, I love mixing reality with fantasy, girls doing random or typical things. Fashion, light and different environments are very important to me in a painting.

Typically how long does it take for painting to be completed?

It all depends.. on subject matter, number of figures and detail, how busy I am, if I am in a good flow. Sometimes a week, sometimes a few weeks, sometimes just a day or a few days—or even a month. I can work on a piece for a few days and not sleep or I can fuck it up for two days and loose time. I never know what will happen.

3 influences

Some of my greatest influences (artists and fashion designers) are: Rebecca Campbell, Alexander Mcqueen, John Singer Seargant.

Whats your ideal atmosphere to paint/draw in?

Big, big, large HUGE studio space that has amazing natural lighting, with lots and lots of knick knacks and things around to inspire me.

Greatest accomplishment so far?

Being able to survive (kind of) as a painter.

Music you're listening to most at the the moment:

I have been listening to a lot of old jazz and punk rock music—which is stuff that I usually listen to all the time anyway. I listen to these huge mixes I make of random songs that I just love on them. They get me all pumped up. They will have like The Damned, Frank Sinatra, The Cult, Lady Gaga, The Donnas, the Gossip to some old ska and 80’s. Random mix!

Who/ what inspires you most?

Life, my friends, spaces, cute, colorful, sparkely thing. And anything KAWAII. Which is what my new show is about.

1 of your favorite pieces of art you've completed:

My favorite painting is usually the one I am currently working on, probably also because that is what has my focus. But one of my favorites is Pizza Party. In this painting there is a girl sitting on the floor eating pizza, she is totally content. It looks like it could be after a late night out or it could be the middle of the day. She is also relaxed because she is in her own space, her room and her whole personality shows through her room. The model in that painting is actually my bestest friend Amy. We call each other TLM, that stands for True Love Muffin. You can find hidden traces of TLM stuff in that painting. It is special.







No comments:

Post a Comment